Chronic stress and anxiety can wear you out. However, self-care can be a powerful remedy that restores your mind and body.
Try these self-care techniques to find relief for your stress:
- Make your health a priority. You may have pressure coming from multiple directions such as work, school, family, kids, neighbours, or others. However, it’s vital to establish your health as a top consideration. Find a balance between taking care of others and taking care of yourself.
- Understand the fundamentals of self-care. Self-care is a conscious effort to put yourself first. It requires you to take time for activities that nourish and sustain your body, mind, and spirit.
- When you make it a priority to take care of yourself, you build a lifestyle that focuses on healthy choices. Build self-care into your daily habits, such as eating a healthy breakfast and exercising.
- Start with one healthy habit a day. If self-care isn’t a regular part of your life, it may be challenging to get used to it. However, you can start with one small habit, and you’ll see positive changes.
- By implementing one healthy habit each day, you’ll begin your journey of taking better care of yourself.
- The habit can be a tiny change, such as eating oatmeal for breakfast or having a salad for lunch. The key is to pick something small that is easy to do. Then, you can build from this foundation and add other habits.
- If you try too many activities at once, you’re likely to get overwhelmed or discouraged.
- Find Your Path. It’s easy to get caught up in the self-care practices that others use. However, it’s more effective to find your path to wellness. There is no “one size fits all” to self-care.
- Find the tips and habits that work best for your lifestyle. You may not have time to eat a healthy lunch or exercise every day. There are other ways to take care of yourself. Be willing to experiment with different ideas to figure out which self-care practices work well for you.
- Continue growing. It’s not enough to add one self-care habit and move on. Stress will continue to be a factor as long as you’re on this planet. It’s essential to discover new self-care habits to alleviate your stress.
- Over time, the stress may come from different directions. For example, if your job is going well, you may suddenly discover issues at home. If your family life is excellent, you may be worried about getting laid off.
- You may feel overwhelmed at times and as if you’re taking steps back. Nevertheless, continue forward and make self-care a top priority.
- As your life changes, your self-care habits will also change. You might find that oatmeal for breakfast starts causing stomachaches, or injuries to prevent you from exercising every day. Self-care can come from multiple channels. You can change things up and still find success.
Self-care has an essential role in the battle against stress.
It’s a vital part of staying healthy and maintaining wellness.
Some Self-Care Ideas to Get You Started…
- Let go of perfectionism
- Reassess your priorities
- Amend Your diet (sugar always adds to my stress load)
- 10-Minute Exercise Daily (only 10 mins is needed to change your mood)
- Meditation (I love the Abide App and the CALM App, allows me to meditate anywhere)
- Daily Walk, either alone or with your spouse/family of a good friend
- Enjoy a quiet cup of tea
- Get a monthly massage
- Read a good book
- Create a Bath Ritual. Bubbles, wine, petals, candles whatever you want to make your bath spa-like. I love spoiling myself from time to time, and these bath bombs are the BOMB! LOL
- Define Your Values (watch for my Free Webinar on this topic)
- Purge toxic people. You don’t need them dragging you down anyway.
- Communicate your emotional needs. After all, Communication is the KEY to successful relationships.
- Go to a movie, with someone or even by yourself.
- Test drive a sports car (I know my daughter would be all over this one, it would light her up for weeks maybe even months)
- Seek out your passion
- Clean out your car, or get it professionally detailed.
- Hire a housekeeper
- Buy those shoes.
- Get a manicure and/or pedicure.
- Take a 20 minute, “Power Nap.”
- Make peace with your flaws. After all, we ALL have them.
- Use Essential Oils. Lavender and Valor are my favourites to keep me calm
- Cuddle with your loved ones.
Give Yourself Permission to be Creative with Your Self-Care
With Much Love and Good Health