We’ve all heard the expression about letting go. We know it’s healthy to let go of stuff that no longer serves us. So, why do we still continue to hold on? How does letting go equate to being happy? Here are a few answers to this question.
- You don’t have to know all the answers all the time – Sometimes we hold onto stuff until we have it figured out. That’s why we can’t let it go yet, because we won’t until we have all the answers. Sometimes, as difficult as it is to grasp this concept, you don’t need to know all the answers. Maybe you shouldn’t know.
- Forgiveness is healing for you and letting go is a gift for yourself – True happiness comes from forgiveness. A lot of people think forgiveness is letting someone off the hook, but it’s not. It’s simply detaching negative energy from that person so they can no longer bind you.
- Releasing anger and negative feelings impacts your overall health and well-being, both mentally and physically. When you let go of toxic feelings, you make room for positive vibrations and experiences to enter.
- Being resentful is the polar opposite of being peaceful. When you are in a state of resentment, you cannot operate on a peaceful vibration. Holding onto resentment only damages your health, well-being and the life you are intending to live. If you want to be happy, you have to give it up.
- Take responsibility for the reason you are holding on. Is it familiar? Is it fear? Is it exciting and exhilarating to have the drama in your life? Once you uncover the reason you are holding onto anger, bitterness, unforgiveness or resentment, you can then see how useless an emotion it is.
- What does drama do to your adrenal glands? When you are in flight or fight mode there is no way you can be happy. Having too much adrenaline is shocking to your nervous system and damaging to your health.
- How peace is the best medicine for your soul and body – Walking around in a state of peace does not mean that you are a doormat and that life doesn’t get tricky now and again. It does mean, however, that you get to choose how you react and for how long. When you walk around like the voice of reason, chances are your body, mind, and spirit will reap the rewards and so will your happy life.
As you can see, there are multiple ways to cultivate, create and manage your happiness quotient. While it may seem like a lot of work, it really isn’t. In the beginning, when you are changing your way of thinking, you may slip back into old habits, patterns and beliefs and that is expected.
However, once you get on the right track of changing your thoughts, monitoring your reactions and managing your emotions, you’ll see how easy it is to create a new habit. When you think of habits, you probably think of exercising or quitting smoking, but incorporating happiness into your lifestyle is a habit as well.
Just like any other habit, happiness can be cultivated as well. When you have done the work and found that cultivating happiness is getting easier and easier, then you can trust yourself enough to manage the happiness of others – not in the way of being responsible for other people’s happiness, but in a way where the unhappiness of others doesn’t have a trickle-down effect on you.
When you view happiness not as this elusive thing out there, but something absolutely within the realm of your control, you get to see that you can create it, manage it and manifest it. When life gets off balance, it’s important to remember to keep yourself balanced.
Lack of sleep, too much stress, too much sleep or even too much overeating are all examples of being out of balance. When your life is out of balance, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to be as well. Keep yourself nourished, hydrated, well-rested, social and responsible and your inner world will be in balance, even when it seems your outer world is temporarily spinning out of control.
Happiness is your own creation. What will you craft – a world of chaos or a world of peace, a boat always ready to capsize or a peaceful easy journey on a serene lake with a few ripples here and there?
The choice is always yours!